Page 1

Parent Ex-PW Flies Here, Accuses Jap Captain News Article
Language English
Collection C.W.J. Phelps Collection
Box Box 1
Folder First Phelps Scrap Book
Repository University of Virginia Law Library
Ex-PW Files Here, Accuses Jap Captain Fukuhara Sentenced to Death After Dramatic Testimony by Tisdelle YOKOHAMA (UP) – Capt. Isao Fukuhara was sentenced to death by an Eighth Army military commission Thursday after Major Achille C. Tisdelle of Chicago and Orange Park, Fla., testified at the last minute after flying to Japan “to see that justice is done.” Tisdelle told in detail of the death of Cpl. Walter R. Johnson, McPherson, Kan., at Omuta 17-B camp in Kyushu which was commanded by Fukuhara. Tisdelle, then a captain, was adjutant of American prisoners there and, after consulting his diary, testified dramatically, “Corporal Ray Johnson was executed in the camp with the knowledge of the accused.” Forced to Kneel “Speaking of my knowledge,” Tisdelle said, Johnson “was charged with illicit conversations with Japanese civilians or Korean civilians and was put in the guardhouse. At each change of shifts individuals of the guard would bring Johnson out [illegible print] He was forced [illegible print] at attention on a bamboo rod, sometimes with heavy rocks in each hand, arms outstretched. Each rock weighed two and a half to three pounds. If, through fatigue, he lowered his arms the guards would come out and beat him with closed fists, kick him and jeer and laugh. “This treatment varied by forcing him to stand on one foot and take a posture like a piece of statuary. The guards would walk around him and beat him for falling off balance. Once they beat him with a bare bayonet and left him practically insensible.” Seeks Justice After his testimony, Tisdelle said “I came to Japan in order to make sure that Lt. [illegible print] a dozen enlisted men who were prisoners with me, and they were all apprehensive lest these war criminals might elude trial. “They are also fearful that an interpreter named Yamauchi-san nicknamed “Riverside” because he came from Riverside, Calif., might escape justice. Though he professed to be our friend he often refused to interpret for our men in the coal mines, refused to speak English and beat up many of them. “I would like the released prisoners back home to know that Yamauchi has been found and that personally I will do all I can to see that he is brought to justice.”